Lost in the 50s
Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Schweitzer Outback Boal
Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Thank you for visiting our Elections web page to learn more about elections and voting in the City of Sandpoint. We value your interest and involvement to help ensure our strategic priorities are met that support Sandpoint’s future as a strong, resilient city that governs effectively, invests wisely, and grows responsibly.
Of Sandpoint’s seven elected seats, the following are up for election in 2019:
|OFFICE||CURRENTLY HELD BY|
|At-large Council seat||Thomas Eddy|
|At-large Council seat||Bill Aitken|
|At-large Council seat||Deb Ruehle|
Councilmembers are elected to serve four-year terms. For continuity, Council seat terms are staggered by two years so that not all seats are open for election at the same time. The current term for Councilmembers whose seats are up for election (listed above) began in January 2016.
2019 DECLARED CANDIDATES
|Kate McAlister||City Council|
|Deb Ruehle||City Council|
|Andy Groat||City Council|
|Jacque Guinan||City Council|
|Billy Guinan - WITHDRAWN||Mayor|
|Shannon Mitchell||City Council|
The election calendar includes key dates for voters and those who wish to run for elected office. See the full 2019 Election Calendar here: https://www.sandpointidaho.gov/home/showdocument?id=12615
INFORMATION FOR VOTERS
- Register to vote: https://apps.idahovotes.gov/OnlineVoterRegistration
- Find your precinct and polling place:www.idahovotes.gov
- Request an absentee ballot:https://idahovotes.gov/absentee-voter-information/
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
The September 4, 2019 Council Candidate Orientation provided a helpful overview of important information for candidates. Read the presentation here...
The City of Sandpoint will be holding a candidate information workshop September 4th at 4:30 pm in Council Chambers at City Hall. Anyone interested in running for elected office is encouraged to attend the workshop.
Eligibility for Office
To get his/her name on the ballot, a candidate must submit the C-1 Appointment and Certification of Political Treasurer and the Declaration of Candidacy, specifying the office and term for which they are running and affirming they meet the following legal qualifications to run as of the date their Declaration of Candidacy form is submitted to the city clerk:
• At least 18 years of age,
• A U.S. citizen,
• The candidate’s primary residence must be within the city,
• The address of the candidate’s voter registration must match the residence address provided on the candidate’s declaration, and
• The candidate must have resided in the city for at least 30 days prior to submitting their declaration.
The Declaration of Candidacy must be accompanied by one of the following:
• A Petition of Candidacy signed by at least five qualified city electors. Before filing the petition with the city clerk, the candidate must have the signatures verified by the county clerk, who attaches a certification to the petition indicating the number of signatures that are of qualified city electors.
• A nonrefundable filing fee of $40—Idaho Code 50-406.
Filing Dates for Candidacy
For the 2019 election, candidates are required to submit their Declarations of Candidacy with the requisite fee/petition between Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. and Friday, September 6, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. to the city clerk at 1123 Lake Street, Sandpoint, ID 83864.
The deadline to declare as a candidate and have your name included on the ballot has passed. You may file as a write-in candidate up until 5:00 p.m. (Pacific) on Tuesday, October 8, 2019. Here is a link to the Declaration of Intent for Write-In Candidate Form.
The deadline for a declared candidate to withdraw from the race is 5:00 p.m. (Pacific) on Friday, September 20, 2019. If you declared your candidacy on or before September 6, 2019, and wish to withdraw, you must file a Withdrawal of Declaration of Candidacy form. Here is a link to the form.
Campaign Finance Reporting Forms
- C-1: Appointment and Certification of Political Treasurer
- C-2 pg 1: Campaign Finance Disclosure Report - Summary Page
- C-2 pg 2: Detailed Summary
- C2 pg 3: Schedule A - Itemized Contributions
- C2 pg 4: Schedule B - Itemized Expenditures
- C2 pg 5: Schedule C - In-Kind Contributions and Expenditures
- C2 pg 6: Schedule D - Loans
- C2 pg 7: Schedule E - Credit Cards and Debt
- C2 pg 8: Schedule E-1 - Credit Card Debt Itemization
- C2 pg 9: Schedule F - Pledged Contributions Not Yet Received
- C4 - Independent Expenditures More than $100
- C5 - 48-Hour Notice of Contributions/Loans Received of $1000 or more
- C6 - Statement by Non-Business Entity
- C7 - 48-Hour Notice of Independent Expenditures of $1000 or more
- C8 - Report of Electioneering Communications Expenditures of $100 or more per year