(208) 255-2747 / e-mail
Who are we and what do we do?
The purpose of the City of Sandpoint Arts Commission is to act in an advisory capacity to the Mayor and City Council to create and maintain and atmosphere conductive to the fullest expression of all forms of the arts in order to enrich the lives of all Sandpoint citizens and visitors through public art. Proposed public art projects on City of Sandpoint property shall be reviewed by the Sandpoint Arts Commission (“SAC”).
When and where do we meet?
We meet on the 3rd Monday of every month at 4:00 pm in the City Hall Council Chambers.
Purpose and Goals
Artists can be valuable members of planning or design teams and primary resources in the revitalization of the downtown and revitalization/development of neighborhoods throughout the city.
The goals of the Public Art Program include broadening the role of the artist in the community by:
- Advancing Sandpoint as an arts and cultural destination
- Ensuring those responsible for the selection and placement of public art are broadly representative of the community
- Recognizing the achievements and excellence of outstanding artists and increasing public access to their works
- Developing a public collection of artworks with strong inherent aesthetic quality, representing diverse communities, and a wide range of artistic style and disciplines
- Providing opportunities for artists to advance their art forms
- Ensuring that public agencies and community representatives participate in the selection of public art
Advisory responsibilities include:
- Initiation of public art projects;
- Collaborating with city staff, agency representatives and projects;
- Recommendation of selection panel members;
- Recommendation of direction of project and finalists;
- Receipt of report on finalist/selected work.
- SAC may also initiate monies for the Public Art Fund, through fundraising efforts and grant writing.
SAC Mission Statement
The purpose of the public art program is to enhance the public spaces of the City of Sandpoint by the introduction of art into the City environment and to promote the City as a center for artistic and cultural excellence by such provision.